Nintendo is blaming Trump's tariffs for a delay to preorders for the Switch 2

The company said it would push back the April 9 date to "assess the potential impact of tariffs and evolving market conditions."

Nintendo is blaming Trump's tariffs for a delay to preorders for the Switch 2
Two men use an Oled model Nintendo Switch gaming system while playing video games at the Japanese publisher Nintendo Switch's stand during Milan Games Week 2023.
Nintendo said it will delay US preorders of the Switch 2 to investigate the impacts of tariffs.
  • Nintendo will delay US preorders of the Switch 2 due to the potential impacts of recent tariffs.
  • The company said US-based customers won't be able to order it from April 9 as previously planned.
  • A new date for preorders has not yet been determined, per a company statement shared with BI.

Nintendo has blamed Trump's tariffs for a delay to when Americans can preorder its highly anticipated Switch 2,

The company will push back preorders from April and will announce the new preorder date "at a later date," per a company statement shared with Business Insider.

"Pre-orders for Nintendo Switch 2 in the U.S. will not start April 9, 2025 in order to assess the potential impact of tariffs and evolving market conditions," the statement read. "Nintendo will update timing at a later date. The launch date of June 5, 2025 is unchanged."

Previously, Nintendo said that North American customers would be able to preorder from "participating retailers" on April 9. The company also had plans to allow preorders directly from its website starting May 8, but the statement didn't say whether this date was also subject to change.

Nintendo still plans to launch the Switch 2 on June 5, with a price of $449.99.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Read the original article on Business Insider